I love the peplum trend that is about now. Making your own peplum top is easy but does involve a curved hem. Follow this simple guide for a smooth finish to your peplum when using a soft drapey fabric such as crepe or even weave.
1. Make sure that the edge is neat and all seams match up, trim if needed.
2. Fold a small hem allowance and press into place.
3. Pin in place (as it is curved it will want to unfold don’t worry about this at this stage)
4. Stitch close to the pressed edge.
5. Trim excess fabric close to the stitch line. A small pair of scissors with a fine point is ideal for this.
6. Select a long stitch size on your machine and run a line of stitching just outside the first line of stitching.
7. Fold hem over again, press and sew. As you go along, using a pin, every few centimetres pull one of the longer stitches you have sewn in the previous step. This will pull the curved edge in giving a nice smooth finish without curling.
The finished hem will look something like the picture above with a loop where you have pulled the thread every few stitches.
Happy sewing xxx